It is important to ask questions that will help you gain a full understanding of your diagnosis. Having a loved one with you can help. They can be there for support and can also ask any questions you may not think of.
Below are some questions you might like to ask your doctor. It can be useful to write down the answers, or ask your doctor or carer to do so for you.
- What type of cancer do I have?
- What is the stage of my cancer?
- What are my treatment options?
- What type of treatment do you recommend and why?
- What is the goal of treatment?
- How will treatment affect my daily life? Will I be able to work, exercise etc.?
- How will treatment affect my ability to become pregnant or have children?
- How will cancer affect my sexuality and intimacy with my partner?
- What long-term side effects may be associated with my cancer treatment?
- Who can provide me with information about the cost of my treatment?
- Is there a clinical trial I might be eligible for?
- Who can I call if I have questions or problems?