Treatment for soft tissue sarcomas depend on a number of factors including, the grade, type, location and size of the cancer as well your individual medical history, symptoms and personal preferences for treatment.
Treatment for soft tissue sarcoma
There are many different types of treatment for soft tissue sarcoma. Your treatment will depend on you and your cancer.
Types of treatment
The main treatment options for soft tissue sarcomas include:
- Surgery – is a common treatment for most types of soft tissue sarcoma. Depending on where the tumour is located, the goal is to surgically remove the tumour and some of the healthy tissue surrounding it
- Chemotherapy – uses specialist drugs that destroy cancer cells
- Radiation therapy – uses radiation therapy to destroy cancer cells. Radiation can be used to treat soft tissue sarcomas in people where surgery isn’t suitable, for example in areas of the body where it is difficult to treat or in people who are not heathy enough to have surgery. It can also be used to help ease symptoms of sarcoma when it has spread (known as palliative radiation)
- Targeted therapy – aims to destroy only cancer cells, whilst leaving healthy cells intact
For a full list of references, click here.
- Cancer Australia. (2018). Sarcoma fact sheet. Retrieved on 20 July 2020 from https://canceraustralia.gov.au/sites/default/files/publications/sarcoma-fact-sheet/pdf/sar_sarcoma_factsheet_0.pdf
- Australia and New Zealand Sarcoma Association. (2020). What is Sarcoma? Retrieved on 20 July 2020 from https://sarcoma.org.au/pages/about-sarcoma/what-is-sarcoma
- American Cancer Society. (2018). Risk factors for soft tissue sarcoma. Retrieved on 20 July 2020 from https://www.cancer.org/cancer/soft-tissue-sarcoma/causes-risks-prevention/risk-factors.html
- Cancer.Net. (2019). Sarcoma, Soft Tissue: Risk Factors. Retrieved on 20 July 2020 from https://www.cancer.net/cancer-types/sarcoma-soft-tissue/risk-factors
- National Cancer Institute. (2020). Adult Soft Tissue Sarcoma Treatment (PDQ®)–Patient Version. Retrieved on 20 July 2020 from https://www.cancer.gov/types/soft-tissue-sarcoma/patient/adult-soft-tissue-treatment-pdq#_26
We will work with you to ensure you’re aware of any out-of-pocket expenses and make sure there are no surprises throughout your treatment.Learn more
Our centre brings together a dedicated team of experienced medical oncologists, radiation oncologists and haematologists.Learn more
Every member of our team are here to help you. Here are some of the people you may meet and the role they have in your care.Learn more