There is strong evidence to suggest that vitamin D is essential in making strong bones and maintaining skeletal health.4 Whilst some vitamin D can be obtained from the diet, our main source of vitamin D is from the sun.
Based on the position statement approved by the Australian and New Zealand Bone and Mineral Society, the Australasian College of Dermatologists, Cancer Council Australia, Endocrine Society of Australia and Osteoporosis Australia, the following recommendations have been made for the general healthy population: 4
- When the UV index* is below 3:
- It is not recommended to use sun protection
- It is recommended to spend some time outside in the middle of the day on most days to aid vitamin D production.
- When the UV index* is 3 or above:
- It is recommended to use sun protection in the form of; wide brimmed hats, sunglasses, sunscreen and shade if you are going to be outside for more than a few minutes.